Monday, October 29, 2012

Using storm clichés to describe financial uncertainty.



nasa.gov

If the blanket news coverage of Hurricane Sandy has taught us anything, it’s that the media loves a good disaster. Those intrepid young local reporters and daring network correspondents race to the scene, braving winds, rain and embarrassment to stand in ankle-high water and bark into their mics about Mother Nature’s indiscriminate fury. In short, the perfect storm that is Sandy is the perfect storm for a great story. At least that’s what the media thinks.

When they’re not focusing on Sandy or her big brother, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie in 16:9 aspect ratio, you can often catch news anchors discussing another disaster. Before this tempest arrived just in time for November sweeps, America’s ambiguous economic times have for years been the perfect storm for pundits on every channel. Now with our presidential election just days away, the fate of our economy is bearing down fast. Both candidates want you to believe that if you vote for the other guy, you’ll doom us all.

But at the personal level, looking back over the past few years, how have you weathered this financial storm?

As a wide-eyed undergrad, I chose to follow my dreams and turn my passions and curiosities into a rewarding career. Unfortunately, none of my professors or guidance counselors informed me that getting a bachelor’s degree in broadcast journalism was a terrible decision if one was actually looking for a career after college. Now, five years and two local television stations later, I’ve switched paths and gone from writing for a living to writing for a living for less. As a freelancer, new work is never guaranteed and like my first blog post, even when I’m not working on a story, I’m working to find another story I can get paid to write about. To some of my readers, what appears to be constant griping may seem like a bunch of hot air, but I’m honestly always concerned about my financial future. I live on the coast now…how am I ever going to be able to buy a sailboat on a freelancing wage?

Millions of Americans along the East Coast are staring Sandy in the face as I write these words. Millions more are bracing for another long work week or another long week that they wish they were working. The recession hit this country harder than almost anyone expected, and for countless bachelors, bachelorettes and entire families, a bachelor’s degree just wasn’t enough to keep them out of the unemployment line. It was a perfect storm, a worst-case scenario that millions of people are still trying to recover from.

Now they’ve come to grips with the fact that this shitty economy can’t bounce back overnight.

For me, I know who I’m voting for next week. But no matter who wins, I doubt I’ll see much of a difference in my economic outlook over the next four years. As a former member of the media, I understand how and why most of the current members are so annoying. Hurricane Sandy may be a disaster, but it’s a blessing for newscasts everywhere. The economy though, was a disaster long before this storm and it’ll remain a mess long after the eye closes for good. So forget the pundits, forget the presidential candidates and just get used to riding this one out on your own.

Yes, I could be doing much, much better. But I know that I could also be doing much, much, much worse. The same can be said for lots of us. I just hope whoever wins will fix the economy enough so that I can make more money and finally buy my boat. What’s a better name? The "Barark?" Or "Romseas?"


No comments:

Post a Comment